Focalin XR 10mg (Dexmethylphenidate HCl) Tablets
Focalin XR 10mg is the brand name of the drug dexmethylphenidate, which is used to manage the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Focalin XR 10mg is the brand name of the drug dexmethylphenidate, which is used to manage the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is the same medication as Focalin but has therapeutic effects that typically last for 12 hours (as opposed to four). Focalin XR 10mg begins to work an average of 45 minutes after it is taken.
Adult Focalin Dosing Instructions
The Focalin dosage for adults is pretty straightforward. Doctors start the patient on a low-dose pill and then gradually increase the dose until the desired effects are produced. The general Focalin dosage for adults schedule is below.
If taking the extended-release form:
- Begin with a 10 mg pill taken once a day.
- Should the pill not produce the desired effects, increase by 5 mg a day, giving it a week to see if this provides the needed results. If it does not, increase the daily dose by 5 mg next week.
- Increase to as much as 40 mg per day.
If taking the immediate release form:
- Begin with a 2.5 mg tablet taken twice a day, spaced at least four hours apart.
- Should this dose not produce the desired effects, increase by 2.5 mg per dose, giving it a week to see if this delivers the results needed. If it does not, increase each dose by 2.5 mg next week.
- Increase the dose to as much as 20 mg per day.
Should the patient reach the maximum dose and still not have the desired effects, they may need to consider other options, such as Focalin vs Vyvanse.
Focalin XR 10mg Side Effects
Common Side Effects of Focalin XR
You should tell your doctor if any of the following side effects are severe or don’t go away:
- Loss of appetite or weight loss
- Stomach pain, vomiting, or heartburn
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Nervousness or jitteriness
Serious Side Effects of Focalin XR
You should call your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following serious side effects:
- Chest pain
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Extreme fatigue
- Dizziness or fainting
- Slow or difficult speech
- Changes in vision
- Weakness or numbness of an arm or leg
- Aggressive behaviors
- Hallucinations or believing things that aren’t true
- Being unusually suspicious of others
- Mood changes or depression
- Swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, or eyes
- Rash, hives, or itching
- Purple blotches under the skin
- Joint pain
- Blistering or peeling skin
- Painful, frequent erections or an erection that lasts longer than four hours
- Unexplained wounds on the fingers or toes
- Numbness, pain, or sensitivity to temperature in the fingers or toes
- Skin color changes (from pale to blue to red) in the fingers or toes.
Signs and Symptoms of Focalin Overdose
While Focalin overdose is unlikely, patients still should know the signs and symptoms to look for. These include:
- Chest pain
- Racing pulse
- Trouble breathing
- Feeling cold
- Blurred vision
- Muscle stiffness
Anyone who has dexmethylphenidate overdose symptoms should seek treatment immediately. Chances are the medication is being abused if an overdose occurs, so once they are treated for the toxicity, they need to under drug rehabilitation therapy. Since there are Focalin XR withdrawal symptoms to deal with, detox should be done in a supervised setting.